Tuesday, April 6, 2010

I am so proud to say...I won the Treasured Scrapbooking We Love Our Member Contest!

Every Spring, Treasured Scrapbooking hosts their We Love Our Members Contest. It's four weeks with a layout challenge each week. This year Erin really challenged all of us by taking what she's been learning in her art classes and having us apply various design principles in our layouts. Man, it was tough but I learned a lot!

Here are the four layouts I created for each week of the contest. I am happy to say they are now four of my favorite layouts ever!

Week #1 Challenge:
  1. Create a layout where the focal point follows the rule of thirds.
  2. Include ONE photo, also using the rule of thirds.
  3. Include an example of hierarchy - embelly cluster, paper layering, the way you do your alpha, etc.
  4. Unify with color, either a palette, monochrome, complementary, etc.
  5. Keep those eyes moving! Create visual movement.

Week #2 Challenge:
  1. Pay attention to negative space.
  2. Unify through color.
  3. Add something to your photo- whether it is journaling, your title, an embelly, overlapping cluster, etc.
  4. Get a little distressed - use some sort of distressing on your layout, scissors, ink, tearing, painting, sanding, whatever you choose!

Week #3 Challenge:
  1. Play with symmetry & give a description of what type of symmetry you used.
  2. Play with complementary color pairs (doesn't have to be the primary version of the color, can be any shade, tint or tone): Red/Green, Blue/Orange, Yellow/Purple. Choose one grouping and have those be your dominant colors, but other colors are allowed also.
  3. Keep it balanced!! Focus on the overall balance on your layout. Make sure that what you think is important about it shows as what is important!

Week #4 Challenge:
  1. Use what you've learned from the prior weeks and include a description of what you used/learned.
  2. Include ONE photo.
  3. Get a little distressed.
  4. Keep it all balanced.
  5. Include at least one thing that is hand made by you. It can be ANYTHING at all.

And, it was just icing on the cake when I found out...I WON THE GRAND PRIZE!! I received my prize package today which included a Treasured Scrapbooking March card kit, a bunch of fun embellishments and a $25 gift certificate to the Treasured Scrapbooking store which I immediately spent on a ton of new Helmar adhesives. I can't wait to play with my new goodies!

No comments: