Friday, March 29, 2013

So much happy in the Birds Of A Feather April kit!

I have to start off by saying that Amy knocked out of the park with the Birds Of A Feather April Kit. I seriously love EVERY. SINGLE. THING. in it. So that means that I should also confess that I got all the kit extras this month. The colors are the first thing that drew me to this kit. And then there's all the fun embellishments like the enamel dots, wood veneers and jumbo ric-rac. Sprinkle in a little boyish fun and you got some scrappy happiness!

So let me start by sharing a two-page spread I created with this kit. I am still playing catchup with last year's Project 12. But, since I have all the photos printed and journaling typed out, it makes it easy to throw a month's spread together when I come across the right products. And, I thought the April kit was perfect for my August spread. So, a few things to point out...first, I printed my journaling on a transparency and then adhered it with Thermoweb vellum adhesive to the top of the journaling card. To create my small green mist drops, I just took the spray top out of the bottle and flicked it a couple times over my page. To create the larger orange mist drops, I used a medicine dropper. By the way, I LOVE this new Tattered Angels formula. I've used lots of mists - Glimmer Mist, Mr Huey's, Color Shine, etc - and this has got to be close to, if not at, the top of the mist list. (Haha - that rhymes!) If you haven't picked up the two extra blue and orange mists, I'm telling you to do it - now. So, when I threaded my banner pieces on the jute, I accidentally mis-threaded the left flag on the banner in the upper right. I was all set to fix it, but then decided I liked having just the one flag different from the rest, so I kept it.

Since Becky Fleck did not create new Project 12 sketches for 2012, I am using the ones she created for 2010. Here's the August sketch I referenced when creating the above layout. You can see I followed it pretty closely but adapting it here and there, like subbing the tree for an additional photo.

And here are a couple close-ups of my layout...

So, March is a crazy birthday month around here and I completely depleted my stash of birthday cards. With my mother-in-law's and brother-in-law's girlfriend's birthdays right around the corner, I needed more birthday cards. I thought the fun, vibrant colors of this kit were perfect for birthday cards. All I needed was my kit, a sentiment stamp from my stash and a little embossing powder.

Here's mother-in-law's card. I used the orange mist and houndstooth template on the lighter side of the orange Echo Park paper to create the tone-on-tone background.


And here's brother-in-law's girlfriend's card. The burst is fussy-cut from one of the My Mind's Eye papers.


And that's it for now! I have four other layouts in the works but you'll just have to wait until later in April for those. Happy Friday everyone!

No comments: